History of the Court of Justice
Jurisdiction of The Community Court of Justice
The Court gives legal advisory opinion on any matter that requires interpretation of the Community text.
The Court examines cases of failure by Member States to honour their obligations under the Community law;
- The Court has competence to adjudicate on any dispute relating to the interpretation and application of acts of the Community;
- The Court adjudicates in disputes between Institutions of the Community and their officials;
- The Court has power to handle cases dealing with liability for or against the Community;
- The Court has jurisdiction to determine cases of violation of human rights that occur in any Member State;
- The Court adjudges and makes declarations on the legality of Regulations, Directives, Decisions, and other subsidiary legal instruments adopted by ECOWAS.
Regional Courts of Justice