Applications should be sent to: email@example.com
- To assist the Court Registrar, HOD Judicial Records, Archives and Publication in Proof Reading and evaluating written manuscripts of Judgements and other legal documents for grammatical and typographical errors.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- · Liaise with Judges, Chief Registrar and Printer to determine the composition of specific texts in the publication of law reports.
- · Compare typeset proof against original copy to identify errors or omission.
- · Use word processors and other specialized software to make changes on typeset documents.
- · Evaluate the dimensions of page elements such as text spacing and positioning to ensure they conform to set specification.
- · Ensure page numbers are in the right order and not repeated or omitted.
- · Analyze legal documents to ensure chapter titles match list of contents.
- · Use symbols which are standard and recognized by printing and publishing companies.
- · Mark corrections highlighted by the Chief Registrar, Deputy Chief Registrar and ensure they reflect on the master set proof.
- · Rephrase written text to ensure document structure and content are consistent.
- · Stay abreast with grammatical development as well as new terminologies in a language.
- · Ensure illustrations are suitably captioned and referenced.
- · Contact Printers directly to clarify grammatical inconsistencies related to style and text choice.
- · Forward proof read materials for approval and publication.
- · Ensure project is completed within set time constraints.
- · Read and evaluate written manuscripts of judgments and other legal documents for grammatical error.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- · A minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- · Possession of higher degree would be an advantage
- · Three (3) years relevant professional experience in this field, including two (2) years relevant International experience.
- · Experience in a variety of private and public institutions preferably in a multi-cultural setting and in an international institution would be an advantage.
Be Below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidate
ECOWAS KEY COMPETENCIES
- · Ability to motivate self and/or others to engage in and successfully complete tasks at hand;
- · Demonstrated experience leading conversations that will either provide participants with new information, ideas or awareness or elicit feedback;
- · Ability to positively influence co-workers when faced with challenges and work problems to help trigger solutions and build confidence;
- · Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- · Ability to lead in the management of own career and performance and to seek assistance/coaching when required.
- · Well-developed client service skills including a positive attitude, creative thinking skills, good work ethic, teamwork experience, time management skills, flexibility;
- · Ability to take initiative to resolve problems and improve quality and/or quantity of work by identifying alternative solutions and discussing appropriateness/approach with supervisor;
- · Strong desire to help others and capacity to empathize to generate mutual understanding;
- · Ability to work as part of a team in supporting and addressing the needs of clients and stakeholders;
- · Ability to multitask and to meet client service/stakeholder management standards and objectives of pertinence to assigned responsibilities.
- · Ability to perceive the moods and feelings of others from various cultural backgrounds, and to understand interests, needs, and perspectives so as to prevent/address misunderstandings and complaints;
- · Well-developed ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds and sound understanding of diverse cultural differences especially within west Africa;
- · Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests and concerns and to understand and internalize the need for diversity management in every day workplace practices;
- · Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- · Ability to factor in diversity when providing services, responding to requests, recognizing and releasing preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals.
- · Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organization mandate and its functions;
- · Ability to explain the ECOWAS programs and projects relevant to tasks and demonstrated understanding of data used by the department/institution/agency, including knowing where data resides in the system, the
- · Ability to see how the data in the system interrelates and how data entries and changes may impact data in other parts of the system.
- · Knowledge of ECOWAS routine procedures and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities;
- · Ability to apply ECOWAS standards in emailing, reporting, correspondence, etc. and to accept and implement changes as directed.
- · Excellent numeracy skills with the ability to collect, collate, classify and summarize data systematically.
- · Demonstrated ability to assist in conducting primary and secondary research activities in accordance with instructions and/or best practices in research techniques (e.g. interviews, tests, desk research);
- · Ability to identify inconsistencies in reasoning and to articulate findings clearly;
- · Ability to use creativity and initiative in the generation of alternative solutions to a problem;
- · Ability to gather, analyze and arrange information in a logical sequence.
- · Ability to provide useful feedback when asked and to use feedback constructively when given;
- · Demonstrated ability to use computers with superior word-processing skills and proficiency in the use of data base (e.g. access), spreadsheets (e.g. excel), inter/intranet, email and social media;
- · Tact, diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills;
- · Ability to write accurate, clear and well-organized text;
- · Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- · Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- · Well established time management skills with the ability to make well considered/reasoned decisions regarding own work and to follow them through;
- · Ability to use action planning skills, set priorities, develop work goals and identify the steps needed to achieve goals of relevance to own work area;
- · Ability to work well and meet objectives of tasks when under pressure or when exposed to uncertainties, challenges and/or changing work environments;